The Pyrate's Booty

Monday, February 27, 2006

Remembering Monk

This may sound odd, but, I have a morbid fascination with reading obituaries. While this personality tick may repel some, I reaped the benefits today while reading The New York Times' obits, and hit pay dirt. I stumbled across an old obituary from February 18, 1982. On that fateful day the brilliant jazz pianist Thelonious Monk died at the age of 64.

I'm not a scholar of jazz history, nor am I a jazz musician, but when I hear Monk play my heart melts and sings. Now, you don't have to be a jazz junkie to know a reaction like that means you've discovered something amazing! If you aren't familiar with Monk's music, I seriously suggest you check out Straight No Chaser.

This captivating documentary traces the history of Monk's musical career, the electrifying bebop era, and the reactions of a post WWII America on jazz. There are some great live performances and tour footage of Monk's travels through Europe. I doubt there will come along another musician quite as unique and inventive as Mr. Monk.

1 Comments:

Blogger karemama said...

Jenni,

I hold a small place in my heart for obits. I can imagine having to write an entire person's life in less than 300 words. Whenever I read one, I fill in the gaps that the writers editor probably cut out and try to imagine the small things that made the person's life as well.

I totally checked out betterPropaganda and those guys are definetly very hip. They're in SF too, maybe if i hone on the writing craft a little more i can do some freelance and see if they'll take my stuff.

12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home